Monday, February 14, 2011

rerun

Hey hey. Happy V day.

I'm going to do something I have never done before. Rerun a post.

This is why:

I consider this to be one of my most important posts ever.

This is why:

This post is what Amelie's birth family read that made them feel connected to me when they were looking for a family.

I think it was the part about St. Valentine leaving me cash. I'm not sure.

So here is it.

***************************
Feburary 2009

Amour cliché



Sugar Daddy and I aren't too much with the romance. Never have been. I don't mean to say that we don't try to seduce each other. We do. It's just a little more subtle than average.

For instance, I might say, "You know, you're a real smart ass." And he will respond, "Why thank you. You crafty little minx." Then, well, it's on.

So Valentine's day really isn't our "thing". We might exchange little token gifts, but for the most part, we don't make a big deal about it.

BUT- what I do love about Valentine's Day is the kitchyness. I relish the cheesy cards and the campy store bought goodies. I mean, who doesn't love conversation hearts? Really.

Is Valentine's a Hallmark holiday? Why yes it is! And that's what is so great about it! Elementary school would never have been the same without chintzy little cards made from red doilies and decorated shoebox mailboxes.


Thom and I are all over it, getting ready for the big day. We have all the Valentine's ready to take to school.


The hearts are hung in the window with care, in hopes that St. Valentine will show up and leave a couple hundred bucks on the counter.


The big pink sugar cookies are frosted with almond buttercream and ready to deliver. Scrumdillyumptious!


And the campy handmade Valentines are in the mail to their intended sweetheart.


Here's Cupid himself, lips pursed in concentration, crafting a card for his cousins. Notice the chocolate smears all over his shirt? We needed sustenance while we worked.
This is my mantra for today: Let. Love. Live. However you do it. Don't quash the vibe. If you are fancy pants lovey dovey, do that. If you are simple and sweet like Sugar Daddy and I, put the kids to bed, break out the Netflix and Ben and Jerry's and nestle in.


***************************
So much has changed since I wrote that post. I now have three little lovies to dote over. We still don't make a big deal about Valentine's. However, we are taking the kids to the zoo today.


Let's all just pray that the spirit of love can last at least until mid-day.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Valentine's day means more to me the last couple of years. I always think of this time as when we got Amelie. Even though she wasn't quite here yet...

Enjoy the zoo! oxo.

Laurie said...

What a lovely post...what a lucky lady you are! Love your cards that you made, being a paper crafter, I love a pretty handmade card. Have a great time at the zoo.