Monday, January 10, 2011

addict


There was a fiasco of monumental proportions last Friday.  You were probably just going about your day as usual. Grocery shopping. Cleaning house. Whatever it is you do.  I was falling apart at the Apple store in front of the tech with gauged ears and a goatee. I can testify to you that it was one of the least eloquent moments in my life.

Somehow, in a fit of stupidity, I managed to wipe my phone clean of all information.  I can't go into the details. I'm not really ready to talk about it yet.  Suffice it to say that I really did a job on my phone and the information, according to the gauged ear guy and his pock faced manager, is lost forever.

All the photos of Frankie Valentine in the NICU. Snap shots of family moments. Lists of books I wanted to read. Contact information. Calendar items. Gone. No back-up.

It took a couple days, but I'm over it. The NICU photos will always haunt me though.

It made me realize how attached I am to my mobile device.  And it's all fairly ridiculous in the larger scheme of things.  I mean really.

I don't want to live my life through machines. I don't want to tick off the days like a ferris wheel ride.  Up down, up down. The high and lows created by something outside myself.  I want to create my own path, at my own pace.

But I'm not moving to a ranch in Wyoming anytime soon.  This is the world I live in.  I like my life.  I love my iPhone. I just want to find a little more balance. A little less dependancy.

So here you have it. My name is April Meeker and I'm a technology addict. And I don't plan to do anything about it any time soon.

But I do plan to back up my phone everyday.

*In case you are wondering, the irony of my blogging about my technology addiction did not elude me. I find it pretty freaking humorous.*

9 comments:

Kiera said...

Hi, My name is Kiera. I am a iphone addict...
I lost several things on my phone a few months ago... The "littles" would get their warm sticky fingers on it and delete away... I now have a password and am committed to backing up.
Sorry for your loss... it is a sickening feeling...

dorylyn said...

I feel your pain! I was expressing to a friend, not too long ago, if I were not to have my phone and got into trouble, I would not be able to reach anyone! I don't know anyone's phone number or last name for that matter....dependency on technology...who would have thought!

Hilary said...

I'm sitting here feeling so sad for you.
I'm sorry, that stinks.

sherri said...

Huge bummer! Thankfully my husband will back up my phone from time to time cause he knows I always forget to do it.

Last year I was in Las Vegas and someone stole my iphone right out of my hands. Talk about feeling violated!!

tollestrupfamily said...

I lost Tanner's pictures from 6 weeks to 12 months. I think I cried for days. I also lost my entire hard drive which I haven't thought about twice but the pictures killed me. What I did do is I called and e-mailed each and every family member and friend that was a part of our life during that year to beg for pictures of Tanner. Maybe your Mom or sisters or nurses or Margee took some pictures that will make up for the whole. Plus if you can collect a few pics all Frankie B. will know is that you did take some. He won't wonder why there aren't millions as long as you have a few. Life did go on for me post hard drive crash but do you think I learned my lesson? Not quite. My hard drive crashed again about a year ago losing 6 months of pictures. 2nd time must be a charm because I now have 3 copies of all of my pics.

Jen said...

I too experienced a technological interference in my life recently. While my loss was not nearly as huge as yours, I too lost some pictures that can't be replaced. It's a very sad thing. But, once again, it has reminded me that I need to back up my laptop and get my pictures off of my camera before my son gets his little digits anywhere near them.
My heart goes out to you.... :(

Unknown said...

oddly, within 2 days of me being a follower of this blog, we (you and I) have posted about the horror of not backing things up, on the same day. i find that interesting and odd. my story ended more happily though. but man, I feel for you!

Emily said...

Oh! I'm soo sorry. That is just awful. I wish I had comforting words, but if it helps, you have inspired me to order prints RIGHT NOW of baby girl's time in the hospital. So thanks.

DeeDee said...

I'm so sorry about your lost stuff. My hubby works at Apple, and from the stories I hear you wouldn't be the first to have a breakdown in the Apple store. I did laugh about you blogging about the tech. addiction. :)