Friday, December 10, 2010

freak. it's friday already?


I love old children's book illustration and I particularly like this one.  It's been on my computer for years now.  But I realized the other day that there is something terribly wrong with this picture.

Do you know what it is? If you do, then you have a husband similar to my own.

If you don't know then you should click away now, happy in your ignorance of the fact that some husbands don't smile cheerfully when asked to place the star on the top of the tree, or help deck the halls in the slightest fashion.  Some husbands have no intention at all of putting up twinkle lights on the eaves so that the house looks festive. Some husbands will have no idea what Santa has brought the children until they unwrap it.

However, these types of men aren't all grinch and no love.  No, no. If you are lucky, you will get one that loves to cook almost the entire gourmet Christmas dinner.  He will also help you make your traditional Opera bar candy and work very hard everyday so that the children might have gifts under the tree.

You are also one of the lucky ones if your husband has no desire whatsoever to smoke tobacco in any form. Even if a pipe does have certain charm.

But you are really super duper lucky if you have a clock like the one in the picture.  I'd like to buy it from you if you are so inclined.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Yes. Yes. Yes.

And I saw one of those clocks in a vintage store here in Los Angeles -- I don't remember the name but I will try to find out --

who said...

Higher higher hello!

Unknown said...

This is so funny cause I knew what was wrong with the picture before you asked! HaHa! My husband absolutely cannot stand to put out Christmas Decor.

www.shannyruns.com

Katie said...

I stumbled on this clock right after reading your post (and saving that adorable illustration as my desktop, I hope you don't mind!) http://pinterest.com/pin/1901789/

said...

So glad I am not the only one whose husband has no idea what gifts the kids are getting until they are unwrapped! :)