Tuesday, September 16, 2008

a couture cubical

A team of researchers explored the link between flowers and life satisfaction in a 10-month study of participants' behavioral and emotional responses to receiving flowers. The results show that flowers are a natural and healthful moderator of moods.

"What's most exciting about this study is that it challenges established scientific beliefs about how people can manage their day-to-day moods in a healthy and natural way," said Jeannette Haviland-Jones, Ph.D., Professor of Psychology at Rutgers and lead researcher on the study.


I have been told, by a few choice and dear people, that I can be a teensy bit moody. Bless their soles. I don't know if any of the tens of people that read this blog noticed, but last week, I was a little down. This morning when I arrived at my work space (a.k.a. the kitchen) the first thing I noticed was the flowers I had bought myself yesterday. This is a little present I give myself every week. A $10 bouquet from the market. I didn't buy any flowers last week. I think that seeing the flowers helped boost my spirits and set the tone for the rest of the day.


Here I am, at my work space (the tidy one) in my uniform. Photography credits must go to one five year old boy who, after many tries didn't get me actually looking at the camera, but who, nevertheless gave a valiant effort. I am happy to claim the kitchen island as my personal work space, if only I could get people to take a number when they want something.

I'd just like to put in a little plug for beautifying you life. If you can't buy flowers, grow them. If you can't grow them, steal the neighbors. I think it is vital to surround yourself with things that inspire you. If you're not a flower girl, get some fruit or art, or gosh, I don't know, a great cupcake or a fabulous pair of shoes, and put them on your desk. I would go so far as to tack up damask wall paper in my cubical. Do whatever you can get away with, your moods will thank me.

5 comments:

Jen Lee said...

APril, I just found your blog and am as impressed (and intimidated) as I thought I'd be. I love it that you buy yourself flowers! You've inspired me to find something beautiful I truly love to brighten my toddler-tantrum filled mornings. Thanks!

Tins and Treasures said...

I love your blog...I tell my students to look for inspiration in everyday things too...and to surround themselves with positive people.

Emily ~ Little Window Shoppe said...

I am so impressed with this picture! And even more impressed that your 5-year old took it. Way to go. :)
I love that you call your kitchen your workspace too...that's a great way to look at it. I wonder if I would see mine a little differently looking at it that way.

Lisa Brawner said...

I love your blog . saw it on an etsy thread. Your son did a great job with the pic

Amyesq said...

Love the photo!