Sunday, July 20, 2008

the scoop on the big party with a side of design sunday

Every summer we host a dinner party for our friends. We haven't had one since we moved into our new house. It takes time to get to know people. For me, it takes a while to make friends. I am, by nature, a shy person. I decided when we moved that it was time for me to break out of my shell, turn over a new leaf, and make a specific effort to form new friendships. It hasn't been easy for me. I have to force myself out of my comfort zone on a regular basis.


But here's the thing- in the last two years, I have met more interesting people than I ever expected. I have become friends with people from all walks of life. There are a few areas where I feel that I have been blessed beyond what I deserve and my friends fall into this category.




I had around forty guests at my party last night. I had friends from England, Australia, Vietnam, Canada and South Africa. I had Catholics, Mormons, Jews and Protestants. I mixed the Democrats with the Republicans in hopes that no one left offended. And to my knowledge, nobody did. My friends mixed and mingled and formed their own new friendships. For me, just watching my friends become friends made it a really fun night.




This year I decided I needed to do more than just a host a party. I solicited handmade items to be raffled off at the end of the evening. I made a couple pieces of jewelry and put together a "box of romance" with about five different gift certificates in it. My sister-in-law of Whatnots jewelry donated a gorgeous necklace that was very popular. I had embroidered items from Deliciousdesigns and a handmade crazy apron from my good friend Jenny. Tami Foulger is starting a small flower design business. She has a background in interior decorating but she has also worked as a florist. She went with me to the flower market and helped me with my center pieces. She also donated this fabulous arrangement to the raffle.





Tami is my pick for Design Sunday. She is really good at non-traditional flower arrangements. She has a great eye for color and texture. If you live in the San Diego area, and are interested in her work, leave a comment and I'll get you her contact information.

After all was said and done, we raised $220 dollars which I will be sending to Craft for China.

2 comments:

Amyesq said...

What a great party, April! I feel like I have six new bffs just from my table. We talked all the way home about the wonderful mix of people.

I will post on my blog about the wonderful swag you had for the Craft for China raffle, since I won half of it!

Already looking forward to next year.

Anonymous said...

I am sooooooo bummed, dang fireman schedules! Ok next year I'm coming no matter what. I even had a great idea for a cute little chocolate fondant cake for the auction.