Monday, July 07, 2008

roots

Sugar Daddy likes to say- you can take the girl out of Utah, but you can't take the Utah out of the girl.

We took a picnic up to North Fork Canyon. This is the place I learned to cross country ski when I was a child. This is where I went to Girl's Camp and learned how cruel girls can be to each other. This is land that my father knows like the back of his hand. Today, I took my son there and stood at the waterfall and watched him cry big crocodile tears because we wouldn't let him scale the rock wall. It seems he got a healthy dose of the Campbell gene for outdoor adventure.

I find my western roots are peculating to the surface of my life. I love that there are so many country western stations here. I love that just up the street from my parents house the Barker family still runs a small dairy farm. Although my home town has grown and is no longer the "Mayberry" I once knew, it still has a small town feel. People still smile and wave from their pastures as you drive by.

The Skipping Stone necklace was one of the first things I listed on Etsy. I have sold every one I have listed. I picked up a few stones on our little hike tonight. I can't wait to get home to my work bench to make them into jewelry.

3 comments:

Kari said...

Hold on there . . . are you an Aussie or a Utahn?
And if you are talking about the North Fork of American Fork Canyon--above Tibble Fork Reservoir--then you were just close enough that you could have tossed those stones and hit my house. (Our girls camped there just two weeks ago.)

Anonymous said...

Your work is truly beautiful!!! I was just about to buy that ruby necklace in etsy until I realised it was gold rather than silver!! I will definitely be keeping an eye on your etsy store as original jewelry of quality is so hard to find - LOVE these stone necklaces!!!

Anonymous said...

Your work is truly beautiful!!! I was just about to buy that ruby necklace in etsy until I realised it was gold rather than silver!! I will definitely be keeping an eye on your etsy store as original jewelry of quality is so hard to find - LOVE these stone necklaces!!!