Thursday, June 26, 2008

and so it begins


Some years ago, before the rodent came along, I worked in a bookstore. At the time, it was my fantasy job. I had worked in the dental field (a.k.a. the depths of hell) while Ben was in school. It paid well, but left me with a deep wrinkle between my eyebrows and the bad habit of judging people by the state of their teeth. So when Ben FINALLY graduated, I got a job at a little independently owned bookstore.


It was a lovely little shop with dark wood and a fireplace. We were allowed to take home any book we liked and read it, as long as it came back in mint condition. I read like a mad women during those years.


When I read Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood, I distinctly remember thinking, I really wish I had a group of good friends like that. The kind that you can poor out your sorrows to over a Diet Coke. The kind of friends you see so often, they notice if your blouse is new or you changed your eyeshadow. The Ya Ya's spent long summer days at the beach. Their children played and they chatted. In essence, their families grew up together. It's a good book, pick it up.



Funny thing, my life is turning out a little like the Ya Ya's. I have a great group of friends who I see all the time. Our children have formed their own gang with a structure of command so complex, it rivals Microsoft. Now that Summer vacation is in full swing, we go to the beach every Thursday, and some Mondays. We sit, we eat, we complain, we compare, we honestly tell each other that, yes, that makes you look fat, give it away. We are growing up together.

If you live in the area, and feel so inclined, stop by some Thursday. Grab a Diet Coke, slather the kids with SPF, sit back and tell us your woes. We are always interested in fresh problems to mule over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

if I was closer I'd be there - loved that book but the companion novel "little altars everywhere" was even better in my opinion - if you haven't read it - do but read them together. Funny I call my boys "rats" in the most endearing and loving way of course ;) others overhearing might not think me so I fear

Amyesq said...

Sounds great! I wish I didn't work Thursdays. Must find an alternate date when you return from Shangri-La.